Stouffville, ON (Jan. 16, 2024) – With unseasonably delicate temperatures this winter, the Ontario SPCA and Humane Society is urging pet dad and mom to make use of warning round our bodies of water, which will not be safely frozen.
Yearly, incidents happen involving canines and open water or skinny ice, leading to accidents and even tragic outcomes. To assist preserve pets protected, the Ontario SPCA affords the following pointers:
- Use a leash – All the time preserve your canine on a leash close to our bodies of open water or skinny ice. Even when your canine is a powerful swimmer, icy circumstances and frigid water can show lethal. Canines dwelling on properties with lakes, rivers or ponds needs to be supervised whereas outside to make sure they don’t wander onto the ice.
- Verify ice circumstances – Earlier than venturing onto any frozen floor, test the thickness of the ice. Keep away from slushy, thawed, just lately refrozen ice, or ice close to shifting water, as they could be unsafe. Keep away from happening ice after darkish when it’s harder to identify weak ice or open water.
- Know the realm – Concentrate on potential hazards. Keep away from areas with fast-flowing water, as currents can weaken ice. Slippery banks resulting in the water will also be hazardous.
- Carry emergency gear – Be cautious and keep away from placing your self in danger if making an attempt to rescue a pet. Equip your self with security gear, reminiscent of a rope and security ice picks, to help within the occasion of an emergency. Carry a cellphone for fast entry to emergency companies.
- Keep away from the ice – Keep away from areas the place your canine might enterprise onto the ice. Discover areas on your canine to play or train which can be away from open water or skinny ice in order that they aren’t tempted to enterprise out.
By following these tips, pet dad and mom might help scale back the danger of accidents and guarantee a protected and satisfying winter expertise. The Ontario SPCA stays dedicated to selling accountable pet guardianship and offering assets to assist preserve pets protected and wholesome.
For extra winter pet security suggestions, go to ontariospca.ca
Ontario SPCA and Humane Society
905-898-7122 x 375
The Ontario SPCA and Humane Society
The Ontario SPCA and Humane Society is a registered charity that has been altering the lives of animals for over 150 years. The Society gives care, consolation and compassion to animals in want in communities throughout Ontario. It values all animals and advocates to deal with them with respect and kindness. The Society strives to maintain pets and households collectively and accomplish that by way of a wide range of neighborhood assist companies, reminiscent of sheltering and adoptions, together with emergency sheltering, feral cat administration applications, animal transfers, meals distribution, humane training, animal advocacy, and spay/neuter companies.
The Ontario SPCA doesn’t obtain annual authorities funding and depends on donations to offer applications and companies to assist animals in want. To be taught extra, or to donate, go to ontariospca.ca. Charitable Enterprise # 88969-1044-RR0002.
The Ontario SPCA and Humane Society Provincial Workplace sits on the standard territory of the Wendat, the Anishinabek Nation, the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, the Mississaugas of Scugog, Hiawatha and Alderville First Nations and the Métis Nation. This territory was the topic of the Dish With One Spoon Wampum Belt Covenant, an settlement between the Iroquois Confederacy and the Ojibwe and allied nations to peaceably share and take care of the assets across the Nice Lakes. The treaties that have been signed for this explicit parcel of land are collectively known as the Williams Treaties of 1923