Visiting London for the primary time? Right here’s the right 2-3 day weekend in London itinerary.
London has been calling us (from their crimson telephone cubicles) for a while now. So, we packed our luggage to take a look at one UK’s oldest cities for a protracted weekend. From Massive Ben to Westminster Abbey, London’s historic sights are limitless, and there may be all the time one thing to see, do, and eat.
A giant thanks to Go Metropolis London for sponsoring this publish. All opinions are all the time our personal. This publish might include affiliate hyperlinks, the place we obtain a small fee on gross sales of the merchandise which can be linked at no extra price to you. Learn our full disclosure for more information. Thanks for supporting the manufacturers that make Native Adventurer potential.
Final Up to date: June 2, 2023
11 Finest Issues to Do in London for Your First Go to
With the Go Metropolis London Cross, we had the chance to take a look at a couple of widespread sights, in addition to another factors of curiosity that have been really helpful to us by the Go Metropolis group.
We organized our days primarily based on space. Right here are some things you shouldn’t miss when visiting London.
weekend in London itinerary Day 1
For our 3 day weekend in London, we picked what to do every day primarily based on what was close by in every space.
1. Take a Image with Massive Ben
London SW1A 0AA, UK, map
Talking of icons, everybody is aware of what Massive Ben is, even should you’ve by no means been to London. Though it’s at the moment closed for renovations and restorations, you’ll be able to nonetheless cease by and snap a fast photograph with Massive Ben. The Homes of Parliament, a UNESCO World Heritage Website, is connected to the clock tower. It’s at the moment nonetheless open for excursions.
It’s a 10-minute stroll from Westminster Abbey if you wish to knock out a few locations concurrently.
Native Tip: Finest photograph spot is beneath Westminster Bridge, which leads proper as much as Massive Ben. Arrive earlier than dawn to keep away from the crowds.
2. Westminster Abbey
Dean’s Yard, London SW1P 3PA, UK, map
Westminster Abbey was our favourite attraction, fingers down. It’s steeped in centuries of historical past and has considerably formed the British monarchy, faith, and tradition. It has been the location of quite a few royal weddings, coronations, and burials, together with that of British monarchs and different notable figures all through historical past.
We loved the self-guided audio tour, which supplies guests with detailed details about the location’s historical past, structure, and notable options. Try key areas, such because the Poets’ Nook, the Coronation Chair, and the Royal Tombs.
Native Tip: Entry is free should you’re attending Sunday service, however they don’t present excursions throughout this time.
3. Buckingham Palace
London SW1A 1AA, UK, map
It’s an extended stroll to Buckingham Palace from Westminster Abbey, however you’ll be able to stroll via Hyde Park on the way in which. Buckingham Palace attracts tens of millions of tourists yearly and holds limitless cultural and symbolic significance. It’s a must-visit vacation spot for vacationers from around the globe. Try the Altering of the Guard ceremony and admire the architectural splendor.
To get the perfect image of Buckingham Palace, you’ll be able to head to the Victoria Memorial, situated in entrance of the palace. It affords an important vantage level for capturing the grandeur of the palace’s façade.
Native Tip: The Altering of the Guard ceremony sometimes happens each day in the course of the summer time months (April to July) and on alternate days for the remainder of the yr. You’ll want to test the official web site for probably the most up-to-date schedule. The ceremony often begins at round 11:00 AM and lasts roughly 45 minutes. Arrive early to safe a very good viewing spot!
4. Kensington Palace
Kensington Gardens, London W8 4PX, UK, map
Glimmering golden gates, opulent State Rooms, and tales of Queen Victoria’s birthplace are only a few issues you’ll be able to’t miss at Kensington Palace. Don’t miss your probability to go to the historic King’s State Residences and the Queen’s State Residences.
They’ve been meticulously restored to their former glory, offering a glimpse into the luxurious life of previous monarchs. The historic Sunken Backyard, the place Diana, the Princess of Wales Memorial Statue stands, can also’t be missed.
Professional Tip: Get there early to keep away from big crowds, particularly on weekend days. We made reservations to tour the palace when it opened.
weekend in London itinerary Day 2
We began day 2 of our lengthy weekend in London at Tower Bridge. After the bridge, we checked out the Tower of London at one finish of the bridge and Borough Market on the different finish. Lastly, we ended the day with a Thames River Cruise.
5. Tower Bridge
Tower Bridge Rd, London SE1 2UP, UK,map
We relished the hike up the 206 steps and the magnificent views of the River Thames. Tower Bridge is such an iconic image of London. When you attain the highest, stroll throughout the glass flooring walkways the place you’ll be able to seize nice pictures of London’s skyline and study concerning the engineers who designed the historic construction.
Naturally, we wished to get some pictures with the bridge. Listed here are a few our favourite photograph spots:
- The Queens Stroll is the preferred place to take pictures with the Tower Bridge as your backdrop.
- Extra London Riverside – this metropolitan space will get crowded, so go early morning should you don’t need anybody else in your pictures.
Native Tip: Plan to go to the Tower of London because it’s close by.
6. Tower of London
London EC3N 4AB, UK,map
See the Crown Jewels on the Tower of London, a 900-year-old citadel and fortress. It was fairly neat to see the crowns, scepters, orbs, and different regalia utilized in royal ceremonies by the monarchs.
Professional Tip: Contemplate becoming a member of one of many Yeoman Warder guided excursions, which your admission consists of. Their educated guides share fascinating tales concerning the Tower’s historical past.
7. Borough Market
London SE1 9AL, UK, map
The place your entire gastronomic goals change into a actuality, from farm-fresh produce to yummy avenue meals, your style buds will rejoice after consuming via one in all London’s oldest markets. We liked the freshly shucked oysters at Richard Haward Oysters and the piping scorching paella from Bomba. I wished to hold a whole cheese wheel from Kappacasein.
Native Tip: Most meals stalls are outside, so gown accordingly.
8. Thames River Cruise
Westminster Pier, London SW1A 2JH, United Kingdom, map
Embark on a Thames River Cruise with Metropolis Cruises of London and immerse your self within the magnificence and historical past of town from a singular perspective. We liked the panoramic views of London’s famend landmarks, equivalent to Tower Bridge and the enduring Massive Ben. All through the cruise, educated guides present enjoyable info and tales concerning the landmarks you move alongside the way in which.
Metropolis Cruises affords quite a lot of cruise choices to fit your preferences. When you have extra time, take into account partaking in a day tea or romantic dinner cruise.
Professional Tip: Attempt to safe a seat on the open-air deck for the perfect photograph opps and unobstructed views.
Weekend in London itinerary Day 3
As a result of it’s a trek to get out to Watford, you need to plan for a pickup and transportation. You’ll spend half the day right here. We returned to London, did some procuring, and ended the lengthy day with scrumptious meals and desserts in London’s Chinatown.
9. Warner Brothers Studio Tour
Studio Tour Dr, Leavesden, Watford WD25 7LR, United Kingdom, map
The Harry Potter Warner Bros. Studio Tour affords a fascinating and immersive expertise for followers of the Wizarding World. Step onto precise movie units and see behind-the-scenes secrets and techniques on how they created the enduring movie sequence. The detailed costumes, authentic movie units, and interactive reveals totally blew us away.
Their meals court docket serves up movie favorites (suppose Butter Beer, Hogwarts-themed burgers, and chocolate frogs) and afternoon tea. Try the very intensive store the place you should buy a personalized wand in your approach out. You’ll simply spend half a day right here!
Professional Tip: You’ll want to guide early upfront since they solely promote a restricted variety of tickets each day. Don’t overlook to schedule ample time for journey because it’s not in Central London.
10. Verify Out Iconic Purchasing
87-135 Brompton Rd, London SW1X 7XL, UK, map
London is famend for its quintessential procuring streets that supply a variety of trend, luxurious manufacturers, shops, and distinctive boutiques. Listed here are a few of the most well-known procuring streets in London:
- Oxford Avenue: Situated within the coronary heart of London, Oxford Avenue is among the busiest procuring streets on the earth. It stretches over a mile and is dwelling to quite a few flagship shops.
- Regent Avenue: Only a quick stroll from Oxford Avenue, Regent Avenue is understood for its historic structure and a mixture of upscale boutiques and shops.
- Bond Avenue: Bond Avenue is synonymous with luxurious procuring in London. This unique avenue is dwelling to high-end trend boutiques, prestigious jewellery shops, and famend artwork galleries.
- Harrods on Brompton Highway: Sluggish clap A London procuring icon. Even should you’re simply window procuring at this historic division retailer, we advocate shopping for a scrumptious pastry from one in all their many cafes.
Native Tip: Benefit from the well-known Christmas mild shows that enhance these streets in the course of the holidays.
11. Eat Round Chinatown
Gerrard Pl, London W1D 5QJ, UK, map
I might transfer to London’s Chinatown for the meals! Fortunately (or not), our resort was simply a few metro stops away from Chinatown, and we ate there every single day of our journey.
You’ll want to get genuine soup dumplings from Dumplings’ Legend, contemporary pineapple buns from The Eight, and Peking duck from The Duck and Rice. Wash every little thing down with a chilly bubble tea at my all-time boba store, Completely satisfied Lemon.
Native Tip: Enterprise past the principle streets and discover the aspect alleys, outlets, and hidden gems. These lesser-known eating places present a singular eating expertise away from the crowds and serve genuine Chinese language meals.
Map of the Finest Issues to Do in London
Extra Issues to Do in London
If we deliberate for extra time, I want we acquired to go to neighborhoods like Notting Hill and Cambridge in addition to this stuff to do in London.
- Have Conventional Afternoon Tea
- British Museum
- Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre
- The London Eye
- St. Paul’s Cathedral
- The Beatles Museum (Liverpool)
- The Seven Stars, London’s Oldest Pub
Finest Locations to Eat in London
Listed here are a couple of locations we tried and liked:
- Dishoom (Varied Places) $$ – At dinner, a restricted variety of reservations can be found for events of six or extra friends. You’ll most probably be ready in a protracted line, so put together upfront. For those who’re fortunate, they’ll serve you a few of their well-known chai whilst you wait.
Haidilao Sizzling Pot $$ – Josh isn’t the most important fan of scorching pot, however he claims Haidilao is the perfect he’s ever had. We don’t have a location at dwelling, so this place was past our expectations. Additionally they present snacks and drinks within the ready space. Come hungry.
- Cafe TPT $ – Identified for genuine Hong Kong avenue meals equivalent to beef ho enjoyable and minced pork scorching pot. For those who’re feeling adventurous, we advocate the lemongrass soft-shell crab.
- Evelyn’s Desk $$ – A Michelin-star restaurant led by Head Chef James Goodyear. Assume intimate tasting menu with 18th-century pub vibes.
Finest Locations to Keep in London
- Ebook what you need to do upfront. As a result of London is such a preferred vacation spot for thus many, we missed out on some issues, like Afternoon Tea, as a result of they have been already absolutely booked.
- You don’t should tip right here, like most international locations exterior the US, however should you really feel inclined, you’ll be able to spherical as much as the closest Pound or tip 10-12% of your invoice complete.
- Buy the London Cross for the metro system, bus, and extra. It’s also possible to use your faucet to pay worldwide bank card and pay as you go, however it’s going to cap off at round £8 per day. See extra particulars right here.
- All the time put on layers, pack an umbrella or raincoat, and put on cozy footwear. You’ll be strolling lots. London is understood for its wet and cloudy climate.
- The UK makes use of a sort G plug for many home equipment, so deliver a common adapter on your electronics.
- Be aware of the site visitors movement as drivers within the UK drive on the left aspect. Train warning and take note of the indicators at crosswalks and bus stops.
- Pickpockets are frequent in London, particularly in crowded areas, vacationer spots, and on public transportation. Verify your environment and keep away from distractions like utilizing your telephone excessively or sporting headphones that may restrict your consciousness.
- Get a Go Metropolis London Cross to take a look at a number of sights. The move provides you entry to over 90 widespread sights, together with a number of on our record, at a fraction of the associated fee.
Which of this stuff to do in London are in your journey bucket record? The rest you’ll add to a weekend in London itinerary?
Did you get pleasure from this publish? Pin it for later
SEE Extra Worldwide Metropolis Guides
“Discovery consists not of searching for new lands however in seeing with new eyes” – M. Proust
Josh + Macy
Josh and Macy are inventive southern youngsters who love exploring native and worldwide cultures. They’ve lengthy believed that touring is about getting out of your consolation zone and attempting new issues. They’re at the moment primarily based out of Atlanta.