A Strawberry Swiss Roll is a traditional dessert that provides a pleasant mixture of sponge cake, recent strawberries, and cream, excellent for spring and summer time when strawberries are at their peak.
Strawberry Swiss Roll
This cake is commonly served at celebrations and festive events in Colombia and all through Latin America. It’s generally known as “brazo de reina,” which interprets to “queen’s arm,” referring to its distinctive rolled form that resembles a queen’s arm adorned with a royal bracelet. My aunt is aware of her Strawberry Swiss Roll recipe by coronary heart since she makes it so usually. She shared it with me, which I lightened up barely by folding some Greek yogurt into the whipped cream – it labored completely! Extra of my favourite strawberry desserts are this Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake, Strawberries Romanoff, and Strawberries and Crème Crepe Cake. And for a fall model, do that Pumpkin Roll.
Why You’ll Love This Strawberry Swiss Roll
- Spectacular: This Swiss roll is certain to impress at your subsequent occasion. It’s fairly, scrumptious, and appears difficult. No want to inform everybody it’s simpler to make than it seems to be!
- Candy Strawberries: Recent strawberries take this dessert up a notch! They’re the sweetest after they’re in season, so the strawberries improve the flavour.
- More healthy Dessert: This cake feels extra indulgent than it truly is. The whipped cream filling continues to be creamy however lighter due to the Greek yogurt, which boosts the protein. Plus, there’s no fats added to the cake – just a bit butter on the parchment paper, so the cake doesn’t stick. I exploit monk fruit sweetener to decrease the sugar and strawberries add some fiber, numerous vitamin C, and a bunch of different nutritional vitamins and minerals.
Strawberry Swiss Roll Substances
- Eggs: Separate the whites and yolks from six giant eggs.
- Flour: Use six tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
- Sweetener: I used monk fruit sweetener, which has no energy and fewer carbs than sugar, however granulated sugar may also work.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract offers the sponge cake its taste.
- Butter: Deliver two teaspoons of unsalted butter to room temperature.
- Powdered Sugar (additionally known as confectioners’ sugar) to sprinkle onto a dish towel and the cake
- Strawberry Filling: Thinly sliced recent strawberries, heavy cream, vanilla, monk fruit sweetener (or sugar), 0% Greek yogurt
The best way to Make a Strawberry Swiss Roll
- Prep: Place an oven rack within the heart of the oven, and preheat it to 400°F. Spray a 15” x 10” sheet pan with nonstick spray and line it with parchment paper. Utilizing your fingers, unfold two teaspoons of butter over the parchment and put aside.
- Egg Whites: Beat the six egg whites with a stand or hand mixer till stiff. It ought to take three to 5 minutes.
- Remaining Cake Substances: Gently fold within the six yolks one by one with a spatula after which the sugar and flour one tablespoon at a time, adopted by the vanilla.
- Bake: Evenly pour the cake batter into the ready pan and bake for 12 to 14 minutes till the cake’s shade is evenly golden.
- Powdered Sugar: Sprinkle a clear, damp dish towel with powdered sugar. When the cake is prepared, sprinkle somewhat sugar on high. Then invert the cake onto the towel, take away the paper, and roll up the cake with the towel. Be sure the open finish of the roll is down, and place it on a wire rack to chill.
- Swiss Roll Filling: Whisk the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla at medium pace with a hand or stand mixer for 2 minutes. Subsequent, improve the pace for 3 to 5 minutes till the combination types stiff peaks. Gently fold within the yogurt with a spatula after which refrigerate.
- Fill the Swiss Roll: When the rolled cake is totally cool, unroll it. Unfold the cream on high and canopy it with strawberries, leaving one inch on the finish with no strawberries. Reroll the sponge cake, switch it to a serving platter, and chill within the fridge for just a few hours or in a single day.
- Serving: Flippantly mud the strawberry Swiss roll with powdered sugar earlier than consuming.
Like many conventional recipes, Brazo de Reina has quite a few regional and household variations. In some variations, a contact of rum or different spirits are added to the batter for a further layer of taste. Some might embody cocoa powder within the batter for a chocolate cake or a unique fruit within the filling.
- Berries: Swap strawberries for blackberries, raspberries, or blueberries or a mixture of all.
- Fruit: I guess recent peaches or nectarines could be one other good summer time fruit to strive for the filling.
- Jam: Unfold your favourite berry jam over the cream filling if strawberries aren’t in season.
- Citrus: For a touch of citrus, zest a lemon or orange into the cream.
- Chocolate Swiss Roll: Add two tablespoons of cocoa to the cake batter while you add the flour.
- Gluten-Free Swiss Roll: Substitute gluten-free flour, like Cup4Cup.
The best way to Retailer Strawberry Swiss Roll
Refrigerate cake for as much as three days.
Extra Cake Recipes You’ll Love
Yield: 12 servings
Serving Dimension: 1 slice
For the cake:
Preheat the 400F oven rack within the heart. Spray a 15 x 10-inch baking sheet pan with non-stick spray, line with parchment paper, utilizing your fingers add the two teaspoons of butter and unfold over the parchment paper, put aside.
Utilizing a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the egg whites till they’re stiff, about 3 – 5 minutes.
Utilizing a spatula, GENTLY fold in egg yolk one by one, then add sugar 1 tbsp at a time, gently folding it in. Add flour 1 tbsp at a time, and the vanilla extract and gently fold.
Pour the batter into the ready pan, evenly spreading the cake batter with a spatula.
Bake about 12 – 14 minutes till the cake is evenly golden in shade.
Within the meantime, sprinkle a clear and damp dish towel with confectioners’ sugar.
When the cake is prepared, sprinkle somewhat confectioners’ sugar on high then invert the cake onto the dish towel, take away the paper, and roll up the cake with the towel, ensure the top of the roll is down, place in a wire rack to chill.
For the Filling:
Utilizing a hand or stand mixer, whisk at medium pace the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla for two minutes, and improve the pace till it reaches stiff peaks about 3 – 5 minutes complete. Then with spatula gently fold within the Greek yogurt and refrigerate.
When the roll is totally cool, unroll the cake. Unfold with the cream and canopy the cream with strawberries, leaving 1 inch on the finish with out the strawberries to stop them from falling out of the top of the roll) and re- roll.
Switch to a serving platter, chill within the fridge for just a few hours or so long as in a single day.
Simply earlier than serving, evenly mud with powdered sugar (if utilizing) and revel in! Makes 12 slices.
Please go away a ranking and remark letting us understand how you appreciated this recipe! This helps our enterprise to thrive and proceed offering free, high-quality recipes for you.
calculated with monk fruit sweetener
Serving: 1 slice, Energy: 153 kcal, Carbohydrates: 32 g, Protein: 5 g, Fats: 10 g, Saturated Fats: 6 g, Ldl cholesterol: 118 mg, Sodium: 49 mg, Fiber: 1 g, Sugar: 5 g