This creamy rooster pasta salad is completely loaded with goodies: bacon, peppers, broccoli, corn, feta cheese, rooster, and tomatoes… all tossed along with a tangy, herby buttermilk Greek yogurt dressing. This massive pasta salad can feed a crowd, and it additionally makes for nice leftovers.
What started a couple of years in the past as a “throw a bunch of leftovers along with some chilly pasta” dinner has change into a summertime staple in my home. Pasta + rooster + veggies + bacon + cheese + straightforward. This rooster pasta salad is a profitable mixture for positive. And it all comes along with a tangy home made dressing that’s practically unattainable to cross up.
It’s the pasta salad for these of us who like a variety of STUFF in our salads. 😉
Right here’s Why You’ll Love This Hen Pasta Salad:
- Endlessly customizable—add your favourite greens, strive a unique cheese, or make it vegetarian
- Creamy, tangy dressing made with low-fat buttermilk and Greek yogurt
- Handy make-ahead recipe, similar to my creamy strawberry feta pasta salad
- Makes an enormous batch, good to take to a BBQ or different gathering
- Scrumptious leftovers make for a fast and straightforward lunch or dinner
If it’s a vegetable and you’ve got it readily available, it’s best to throw it into this pasta salad. Like artichokes, olives, shredded carrots, diced cucumbers, chickpeas, you get the thought! With that in thoughts, right here’s my beginning lineup of components:
Base Elements in Creamy Hen Pasta Salad
- Pasta: I like fusilloni or rotini greatest right here as a result of the corkscrew form captures a lot of the creamy dressing. Use any quick pasta that’s straightforward to eat (let’s keep away from fettuccini right here!), and has numerous nooks and crannies to carry onto dressing.
- Chopped Cooked Hen: This may be grilled, poached, rotisserie roasted—no matter you occur to have readily available. I choose grilled or rotisserie.
- Cherry Tomatoes: You’ll love the little juicy pops of taste these give the pasta salad. They’re the most effective components of this kale pesto mozzarella pasta salad, too!
- Broccoli: Chop contemporary broccoli florets into small items—no have to cook dinner it. After I don’t have broccoli readily available, I often sub in cucumbers.
- Cooked Corn: Candy, crisp corn scraped off the cob is the tastiest on this pasta salad, however frozen and thawed or canned corn work too.
- Bell Pepper: Pink, orange, yellow—take your decide from the pack of peppers. (Say that 5 occasions quick!)
- Feta Cheese: Salty, creamy feta cheese crumbles style so good on this salad, however be at liberty to swap in a unique cheese.
- Cooked Bacon: Crisp and crumbled bacon bits add unbelievable taste to each chunk.
Whereas the pasta cooks, prep the opposite components and make the salad dressing.
Buttermilk Herb Greek Yogurt Dressing
Now let’s speak in regards to the dressing! Regardless that there’s already a lot to like on this pasta salad, the dressing actually makes the entire dish come collectively. The base is low-fat/nonfat Greek yogurt and low-fat buttermilk. If you happen to can’t discover buttermilk, you should utilize complete milk and add an additional teaspoon of lemon juice, however you’ll lose some taste and creaminess. Add just a little mayonnaise, a drizzle of olive oil, some contemporary herbs, a squeeze of lemon, a splash of vinegar, and a sprinkle of seasonings. It tastes tangy, creamy, and oh-so-much-better than store-bought dressing. It jogs my memory just a little of the Greek yogurt sauce that pairs so effectively with these zucchini fritters.
This recipe makes about 2 cups of dressing. It could appear to be quite a bit, however the pasta soaks up quite a bit because it sits, and there are additionally so many add-ins—this recipe feeds a crowd!
Place the nice and cozy pasta, chopped veggies, and rooster in an enormous bowl, and pour a lot of the dressing on prime. Stir to mix and coat every thing with dressing, then add the crumbled feta and bacon and stir once more. That’s it! There’s extra work in chopping all of the greens than really making this dish.
You may take pleasure in it immediately, however I prefer it greatest after it sits for a pair hours within the fridge. The flavors develop just a little extra, turning this into pasta perfection.
Success Tip: Save a Little Dressing for Serving
Save the final little bit (a couple of Tablespoons) of dressing to stir into the pasta salad proper earlier than serving, so it tastes further creamy and flavorful. I’ve been making this recipe for years, and I simply found this little trick. What a distinction it makes! You see, because the pasta salad sits, it absorbs an increasing number of of that scrumptious dressing and might start to clump collectively. Give it just a little refresher to loosen it up, and so as to add one other sprint of taste.
Success Tip: Preserve the Pasta Heat
Don’t let the cooked and drained pasta cool for too lengthy. Heat pasta mixes simpler, and helps the flavors within the dish *pop.* As a bonus, the nice and cozy pasta begins to melt the feta cheese, so the dish is even creamier. So good.
Any quick pasta that’s straightforward to eat, and has numerous nooks and crannies for holding onto the dressing, is good. I really like utilizing fusilloni or rotini in pasta salad as a result of the corkscrew form holds onto a variety of dressing. You can additionally use farfalle (bow-tie), tortellini, penne, or macaroni (elbow).
After I’m making pasta salad, I prefer to cook dinner the pasta just a little previous al dente. When pasta cools, it turns into a bit chewy and agency, so that you need that further softness within the pasta. In any other case your entire dish turns into just a little stiff!
Straight from the fridge, the pasta salad is a bit agency and heavy. I like to recommend taking it out and letting it sit for 20–half-hour earlier than serving. And when you’ve got the leftover dressing, stir it in proper earlier than you whip out that serving spoon!
This easy pasta salad has the works! Bacon, crisp peppers, broccoli, feta cheese, rooster, and tomatoes lined in a creamy, tangy buttermilk Greek yogurt dressing. It’s for these of you who just like the “stuff” in pasta salads, greater than the pasta itself! Easy, fast, and makes nice leftovers.
Buttermilk Herb Greek Yogurt Dressing
- Make the dressing first, so it’s able to go. Whisk the entire dressing components collectively, and maintain at room temperature or cowl and refrigerate till prepared to make use of. Will be made and refrigerated for as much as 2 days earlier than utilizing.
- Have the rooster and your entire greens chopped, measured, and prepared for step 4, since you don’t need the pasta to chill for too lengthy.
- Cook dinner the pasta: Carry a big pot of salted water to a boil. (I often use 1 teaspoon salt.) Add the pasta and cook dinner till simply previous al dente. See pasta bundle for particular directions. Drain the pasta, and let it cool for simply 3–5 minutes.
- Pour pasta into a big bowl. Add the rooster, tomatoes, broccoli, corn, and pepper. Pour a lot of the dressing over the pasta salad (reserve about 1/3 cup (80ml) to make use of in step 7) and gently toss to mix.
- Stir within the feta cheese and bacon. Style. Season with further salt, pepper, and herbs if desired.
- You may serve the pasta salad immediately, nevertheless it tastes even higher in the event you cowl and refrigerate it for at the least 1 hour and as much as 1 day. If refrigerating for longer than a couple of hours, let it sit on the counter for 20–half-hour earlier than serving, to assist loosen up the chilly, agency pasta.
- Everytime you’re able to serve it, stir within the reserved dressing.
- Cowl leftovers tightly and retailer within the fridge for as much as 1 week.
- Make Forward Directions: Make the dressing as much as 2 days prematurely. See step 1. You may make your entire pasta salad as much as 1 day prematurely. See steps 6 and seven.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk is vital for taste. If you happen to don’t have any, use complete or low-fat milk and add 1 further teaspoon of lemon juice to the dressing. Nondairy milk works in a pinch, however the taste is missing. Add the additional teaspoon of lemon juice if utilizing nondairy, and add extra herbs to style.
- Mayonnaise: Don’t miss the mayonnaise! You may’t style it that a lot, nevertheless it does add just a little taste. If you happen to resolve to switch it with extra yogurt, the dressing tastes further tangy.
- Totally different add-ins: Be at liberty to swap out any of the greens for different favorites equivalent to cucumber, artichokes, inexperienced beans, olives, shredded carrots, or chickpeas.
- Can I miss the rooster? Sure, you’ll be able to skip the rooster and add extra greens, or change with cooked chopped ham or sausage.
- Up to date model: I initially printed this recipe in 2014! It wanted just a little makeover, because the dressing lacked taste. To repair it, I doubled the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and vinegar, added some sugar to stability out the flavour, and added dill. It’s extraordinary now, and yields a bit extra so the pasta salad is much more flavorful.
- Serving Dimension: 1 serving
- Energy: 330
- Sugar: 5.3 g
- Sodium: 411.2 mg
- Fats: 14.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.3 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 31.2 mg
Key phrases: rooster pasta salad