This superbly bejeweled-looking cranberry frangipane tart combines candy, buttery almond cream and tart, juicy cranberries, all atop a toasty almond crust. Sugared cranberries add an ornamental contact, and all of us beloved this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Every chunk is so gentle, so moist, and so scrumptious that nobody will notice it’s naturally gluten free!
To be sincere, my pie dishes get much more common use than my tart pan, however I completely love a superb tart recipe. And this can be a good tart recipe. I don’t imply “good for a gluten-free dessert”—I imply, simply plain good… similar to my gluten free apple crisp.
Juicy, tangy cranberries distinction superbly with the flavour and texture of the candy almond crust and filling, and so they add a daring pop of colour, too! Festive and tasty—this cranberry tart positively deserves a spot in your Thanksgiving pie recipes shortlist.
Along with a tart pan (my group and I examined this cranberry frangipane tart recipe in each a 9-inch tart pan and a 10-inch tart pan, and it really works in both), you’ll want a meals processor for the crust, and an electrical mixer for the filling. Past all that, this can be a fairly simple gourmet-looking dessert to make!
3 Components to This Cranberry Frangipane Tart
- Crisp and toasty almond crust
- Tender, candy, & buttery frangipane almond cream filling
- Tart and colourful recent cranberries
What Is Frangipane?
Frangipane is almond pastry cream—consider it as a creamier do-it-yourself almond paste. It’s extremely versatile and tastes scrumptious paired with fruit. Some bakers grind their very own nuts for frangipane, however utilizing store-bought almond flour is a helpful shortcut.
You possibly can even use pistachios or hazelnuts for a flavorful twist!
Frangipane is mostly utilized in tarts, like a traditional Bakewell tart, or piped inside croissants for an extra-special pastry deal with. I additionally like it in a galette, like this blueberry peach frangipane galette.
Seize These Elements:
These are all the substances you want for your complete tart. You’ll respect that the crust and filling use numerous the identical substances.
- Almonds: That is the principle ingredient within the tart crust, and I want to make use of roasted and salted almonds for further taste. Grinding down entire almonds offers the crust some a lot wanted texture below the gentle filling.
- Almond Flour: You want this for each the crust and the filling. Almond flour is now extensively out there in most grocery shops. I normally discover it within the baking aisle by the common flour, and/or within the pure meals/gluten-free part. Or you can also make your individual by pulsing blanched almonds right into a flour-like and mealy consistency. You’ll want a meals processor for the crust anyway, so that is a straightforward choice.
- Sugar: We’re sweetening this tart with granulated sugar.
- Butter: You’ll use melted butter within the crust, and softened butter within the frangipane filling. In each circumstances, the butter performs an essential function each in binding the substances collectively, and in giving the tart a scrumptious buttery taste. It’s additionally what makes the frangipane creamy.
- Salt: A little bit salt attracts out all of the flavors, significantly when you’re utilizing unsalted almonds.
- Eggs: Eggs flip this frangipane right into a custard-like filling that puffs up superbly when baked. With out them, the frangipane can be extra like a stiff unfold.
- Almond & Vanilla Extracts: The primary flavors within the frangipane.
- Lemon Juice & Zest: A touch of lemon brightens up all of the flavors and actually makes them sing—don’t go away it out!
- Recent Cranberries: Recent cranberries are best on this tart, however you can use frozen and thawed as a substitute. In case you don’t love cranberries, raspberries or blueberries are implausible on this.
Discover there isn’t a all-purpose flour: Some frangipane recipes use all-purpose flour to clean the frangipane out. I skipped that right here, so the filling stays gluten free. If desired, be happy to switch 3 Tablespoons of the almond flour with all-purpose flour.
Right here’s the almond frangipane. You’ll use an electrical mixer to arrange it:
Gluten Free Almond Crust
- Mix almonds, almond flour, sugar, and salt collectively in a meals processor. Pulse till the almonds are finely chopped, then add the melted butter and course of till all the pieces is mixed. This crust is quite a bit just like the crust I take advantage of on this gluten free chocolate coconut almond tart.
- Press the combination right into a 9- or 10-inch tart pan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes. You need to use pie weights when you’d like, however I don’t discover them crucial with this crust.
Subsequent, unfold the filling into the nice and cozy pre-baked crust. A small offset spatula is useful for this step. And sure, I notice the filling appears like hummus in these photographs. LOL.
Add the Cranberries Final
Dot them on high, and provides them a really mild press into the filling. It’ll appear to be polka dot pie at this level, however the frangipane rises a bit because the tart bakes, so you may see the attractive candy almond cream between all of the fruit.
That is completely non-compulsory, however whereas testing this recipe, I sprinkled the cranberries with coarse glowing sugar. I beloved the additional crunch and glitz! Once more, it’s non-compulsory.
Right here is the cranberry frangipane tart earlier than & after baking:
This sparkly cranberry frangipane tart is fantastic all by itself, however I like to recommend you strive it heat with a scoop of ice cream. Sure, you may slice into it whereas it’s nonetheless heat! I do know all of us respect desserts that may be loved straight away. Reserve your persistence for cheesecake and pumpkin pie. 😉
This recipe is a part of Sally’s Pie Week, an annual custom the place I share a handful of recent recipes that match into the pie/crisp/tart class.
You’ll have a brand new love for almond frangipane after 1 chunk of this cranberry-bejeweled tart! Naturally gluten free, this recipe combines an almond crust with a gentle almond cream filling and loads of juicy tart cranberries. You’ll be able to get pleasure from this dessert heat or at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Make the crust: Utilizing a meals processor, pulse the almonds, almond flour, sugar, and salt collectively till almonds are finely chopped. Add the melted butter. Pulse/course of till the combination is mixed and crumbly.
- Press the dough evenly right into a 9-inch tart pan or 10-inch tart pan. Combination will probably be crumbly at first, so press it in with medium stress so it stays collectively.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes. Take away from the oven and place on a wire rack to chill for a couple of minutes as you put together the filling.
- Make the frangipane: Utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar collectively on medium-high pace till mixed and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the eggs and beat till simply integrated. Scrape down the perimeters and up the underside of the bowl with a silicone spatula as wanted. The combination will look separated and chunky at this level—that’s okay. Add the almond flour, salt, vanilla and almond extracts, and lemon juice and zest, and beat on medium pace till mixed. Unfold the frangipane into the marginally heat crust. A small offset spatula is useful for this.
- Dot the filling with the cranberries, flippantly urgent them into the frangipane. Sprinkle the highest with coarse sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 38–40 minutes, or till the perimeters of the filling are flippantly browned and the cranberries look juicy. Throughout bake time, if the tart is browning too shortly on high and across the edges, tent with aluminum foil.
- Fastidiously take away the tart from the oven and let cool for at the least 20 minutes earlier than eradicating the rim of the pan. I prefer to garnish the tart with sugared cranberries, however that is non-compulsory. Slice and serve whereas the tart continues to be heat or await it to chill utterly at room temperature.
- Cowl and retailer leftover tart at room temperature for as much as 2 days, or within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Make-Forward & Freezing Directions: You’ll be able to put together and assemble the tart by step 6, then cowl and refrigerate as much as 1 day forward of time earlier than baking. Deliver to room temperature earlier than baking. This isn’t the most effective tart to freeze as a result of the cranberries separate from the filling a bit because it thaws. Nevertheless, if in case you have leftover slices and aren’t involved as a lot in regards to the look, you may freeze leftover tart for as much as 3 months. Thaw within the fridge and convey to room temperature earlier than serving.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Meals Processor | 9-inch Tart Pan | Cooling Rack | Citrus Zester | Citrus Juicer | Electrical Mixer (Handheld or Stand) | Small Offset Spatula | Coarse Sugar
- Pie Dish: In case you don’t have a tart pan, you can also make this in an everyday 9-inch pie dish. The slices will not be as neat, so strive your finest to pack the crust into the dish as tightly as potential.
- Almonds in Crust: Style testers and I prefered this tart with roasted salted almonds within the crust. You need to use uncooked as a substitute, if wanted. If utilizing unsalted almonds, improve the salt within the crust to 1/4 teaspoon.
- Lemon: Lemon actually balances the flavors on this candy tart, and I don’t advocate leaving it out. If desired, you should utilize orange juice & zest as a substitute.
- Smoother Filling: In case you aren’t involved with the recipe being gluten free, you may substitute 3 of the Tablespoons of almond flour within the filling with all-purpose flour. This smooths out the filling a bit extra.
- Dried Cranberries: I don’t advocate dried cranberries on this recipe, as they’re much too candy for the candy almond filling. Use recent or frozen (thawed).
- Different Fruits: As an alternative of cranberries, do this with blueberries or raspberries.
- Sugared Cranberries: A enjoyable and attractive non-compulsory garnish pictured on this tart! Study make sugared cranberries.
Key phrases: cranberry frangipane tart