You’re pondering of adopting a cat. You’ve checked out your native animal centre to search out your excellent match and now you’ve bought your eye on a particular feline you’d wish to convey dwelling. However how are you aware you’re prepared?
Cats may be mysterious however understanding how one can correctly take care of one shouldn’t be. Right here’s what you must do to assist your cat get pleasure from a easy transition into its new life.
9 issues to know
- Discover a close by veterinary clinic the place you’ll be able to take your cat for routine care and well being examinations. Be aware of the clinic’s hours and discover an emergency clinic for after-hours sicknesses or accidents.
- Place a litter field in a quiet, simply accessible spot that additionally affords privateness in your feline pal. If you happen to adopted a kitten lower than six months outdated, use solely non-clumping cat litter. Litter usually sticks to their fur and toes. That might result in digestive and intestinal issues in case your kitten ingests any litter whereas cleansing themselves.
- Spend money on high quality stainless-steel or ceramic meals and water dishes. Cats want loads of recent water every day, so preserve your pet’s water dish filled with recent, clear water.
- Diet is essential to maintain your cat wholesome, so choosing a top quality cat or kitten meals is a should. Usually, kittens must be fed three to 4 small meals a day. Most grownup cats must be fed a few times every day. Discuss to your veterinarian to find out how usually and the way a lot to feed your cat.
- Grooming instruments, corresponding to a brush or comb, are necessary to assist preserve your cat’s coat wholesome.
- Cats love toys and actions that preserve them stimulated and lively. If you are going to buy any toys that include yarn or string, make sure you supervise your cat at play. Ingestion of those supplies could cause severe, and generally deadly, intestinal injury.
- A scratching submit is really helpful, as clawing is a pure and regular behaviour for cats. Select a scratching submit that’s tall sufficient that your cat can totally stretch out when scratching. Cats usually have a desire of what substrate they get pleasure from scratching, so discover out in case your cat likes carpet vs. rope vs. burlap as a scratching submit.
- If you happen to plan on letting your cat go open air whereas supervised, get a breakaway collar, harness and leash, identification tag, in addition to guarantee your cat is microchipped as a everlasting type of identification. It’s necessary to take into account that there are a lot of risks open air for cats. Indoors is a safer choice; nevertheless, in case your cat enjoys some out of doors time, contemplate constructing a ‘catio’!
- Lastly, spay or neuter your furry pal! Spaying or neutering your pet can assist cut back the variety of unplanned cats and canine that find yourself in animal centres. All cats of acceptable age are spayed or neutered on the Ontario SPCA earlier than being adopted.
Being a cat dad or mum is a rewarding expertise. We want you and your new feline pal all one of the best as you get to know one another!